Our Services


Under the Planning Act, you must get formal permission from a local authority before the construction or alteration of a building. Most forms of building maintenance do not require planning permission and minor alterations to the internal layout of a house often won’t affect planning permission. There are also several categories of development that are exempt from planning permission but these are heavily conditioned and are often site-specific. We would strongly advise that an on-site consultation be carried out before you assume that your project is exempt from planning permission as there is no guarantee that a retention planning permission will be granted.

Why choose Sweeney Architects?

Sweeney Architects are experienced in planning law and have a high rate of successful planning grants. We can advise on the most appropriate type of planning application to apply for and how best to ensure that your proposed development complies with the local development plan. We can also apply for a section 5 declaration for your exempted development, prepare an observation or objection to a planning application on your behalf or make an application to An Bord Pleanala to appeal a condition or decision made by a local authority planning department.

What size of an extension can I build without planning permission?

Rule of thumb is that a single-storey extension up to 40sqm to the rear of the house is classified as exempt but there are a number of additional criteria that will also need to be adhered to. Link: http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad%2C1586%2Cen.pdf

Does planning permission cost much?

This can vary in size and location. Contact us to discuss putting a detailed fee proposal together along with an estimated budget for your build and advice on any additional professional services and costs that may be required during the course of the build.

How long does it take to get planning permission?

Generally, the local planning authority must make a decision on a planning application within 8 weeks of receiving the application, but if the local authority needs more information, or the decision is appealed, it may take up to 6 months longer if Further Information is requested.
If the local authority decides to grant planning permission, a notice of intention to grant planning permission will be issued. If no appeals to that decision are made to An Bord Pleanála within 4 weeks of the date of this decision, a grant of permission from the local authority will be issued.

What is full planning permission?

Full planning permission is the most common type. An application is made to the local planning authority with the aim of demonstrating to them your ultimate plan. The application will include planning drawings, site maps, newspaper notices, documentation and calculations to demonstrate compliance with building regulations.

What is outline planning permission?

If you want to determine if the planning authority agrees in principle to building on a particular site, or building a large extension, you might apply for outline permission. This will require you to produce only the plans and particulars that are necessary to enable the planning authority to make a decision in relation to the siting, layout or other proposals for development. If outline permission is granted, full and detailed drawings will have to be submitted and consequent permission granted before building work can commence. Generally, outline permissions have a 3-year duration.

What is consequent planning permission?

Consequent planning permission is required once outline planning permission is approved, this is technically full planning permission.

What is retention planning permission?

Retention planning permission can be granted after construction. If planning permission is required you must have planning in place prior to starting works. It is an offence to carry out works without permission and can incur very heavy fines and imprisonment. However, if a genuine mistake has been made, it is possible to apply for planning permission to retain an unauthorised development. This permission may be refused, in which case, the unauthorised development will have to be demolished. Alternatively, there may be onerous conditions attached to the retention permission that would require costly remedial works to be carried out.

Who can view my planning application?

Any member of the public can view a copy of a planning application and on payment of a €20 fee can make a written submission or observation on it.

What type of building can I erect without planning permission?

This is site-specific. It will depend on location, siting of the property, size of proposed extension or building, existing extensions etc. Certain domestic extensions, outbuildings and agricultural buildings as well as state infrastructure are exempt from planning permission. These exempted developments are set out in the Planning and Development Act 2000 & 2001

I have planning permission, What’s the next step?

If the local authority decides to grant planning permission, a notice of intention to grant planning permission will be issued. If no objections or appeals to that decision are made to An Bord Pleanála within 4 weeks of the date of this decision, a grant of permission from the local authority will e issued. Before building works can commence, any conditions attached to the grant of planning need to be addressed. Once this is done a commencement notice application is applied for to notify the Local Authority Building Control department that work will commence between 14 and 28 days after submission of the form.