Sweeney Arhchitects

Skip to content

Planning Permission

Under the Planning Act, you must get formal permission from a local authority before the construction or alteration of a building. Most forms of building maintenance do not require planning permission and minor alterations to the internal layout of a house often wont affect planning permission. There are also several categories of development that are exempt from planning permission but these are heavily conditioned and are often site specific. We would strongly advise that an On-Site consultation be carried out before you assume that your project doesnt require planning permission as there is no guarantee that a retention planning permission will be granted and if it is there are often onourous conditions attached.

Why choose Sweeney Architects?

Sweeney Architects are experienced in planning law and have a high rate of successful planning grants from many local authorities. We can advise on the most appropriate type of planning application to make and how best to ensure that your proposed development complies with the development plan. We can also apply for a section 5 declaration for your exempted development, prepare an observation or objection to a planning application on your behalf or make an application to An Bord Pleannala to appeal a condition or decision made by a local authority planning department.

What size of an extension can I build without planninng permission?

Rule of thumb is that a single storey extension up to 40sqm to the rear of the house is classified as exempt but there are a number of additional criteria that will also need to be adhered to. Link: http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad%2C1586%2Cen.pdf

Does planning permission cost much?

This can vary but if you contact Sweeney architects we can put a detailed fee proposal together with an estimated budget for your build and advice on any additional professional services and costs that may be required during the course of your build.

How long does it take to get planning permission?

Generally, the local planning authority must make a decision on a planning application within 8 weeks of receiving the application, but if the local authority needs more information, or the decision is appealed, it may take much longer, up to 6 months longer if Further Information is requested.
If the local authority decides to give you planning permission, you will get a notice of intention to grant planning permission. If no one appeals the decision to An Bord Pleanála within 4 weeks of the date of this decision, you will get grant of permission from the local authority.

What is full planning permission?

Full planning permission is the most common type. An application is made to the local planning authority with the aim of demonstrating to them your ultimate plan. The application will include planning drawings, site map, newspaper notice, documentation and calculations to demonstrate compliance with local authority building regulations.

What is out- line planning permission?

If you want to determine if the planning authority agrees in principle to you building on a particular site, or building a large extension, you might apply for outline permission. This will require you to produce only the plans and particulars that are necessary to enable the planning authority to make a decision in relation to the siting, layout or other proposals for development. If you recieve outline permission, you will have to submit detailed drawings and receive consequent permission before you start building work. Generally, outline permissions have a 3-year duration.

What is consequent planning permission?

Consequent planning permission is required once outline planning permission is approved, this is technically full planning permission.

What is retention planning permission?

Retention planning permission can be granted after construction. If planning permisssion is required you must have planning in place prior to starting works. It is an offence to carry out works without permission and can incur very heavy fines and imprisonment. However, if a genuine mistake has been made, it is possible to apply for planning permission to retain an unauthorised development. This permission may be refused, in which case, the unauthorised development will have to be demolished. Alternatively, there may be onorous conditions attached to the retention permission that would require costly remedial works be carried out.

Who can view my planning application?

Anyone can see a copy of your application and on payment of a fee of €20, can make a written submission or observation on it. The decision on your planning permission will be notified to you and anyone who commented in writing on it.

What type of building can I erect without planning permission?

This is a site specific it will depend on your location, siting of your property, size of proposed extension or building, existing extensions etc. Certain domestic extensions, outbuildings and agricultural buildings as well as state infrastructure are exempt from planning permission. These exempted developments are set out in the Planning and Development Act 2000 & 2001

I have planning permission, Whats the next step?

If the local authority decides to give you planning permission, you will get a notice of intention to grant planning permission. If no one appeals the decision to An Bord Pleanála within 4 weeks of the date of this decision, you will get grant of permission from the local authority. Before you start building though, you will need to ensure that any conditions attached to the grant of planning are addressed. Once this is done a commencement notice application is applied for to notify the Local Authority Building Control department that you intend to start work between 14 and 28 days after submission of the form.